As an internationally-recognized institution with a reputation for strong academic programs, LMU has a long history of welcoming students from across the globe to learn and thrive in the heart of one of the world’s most vibrant cities. With students representing 83 different countries, LMU is committed to providing an environment that promotes a global exchange of ideas and helps students from all walks of life achieve their personal and educational goals.
Welcome! Thank you for your interest in becoming an International Student at Loyola Marymount University. If you have questions or need help with the application process, please contact us any time:
- From overseas: 001.310.338.2750
- Within the USA: 1.800.568.4636
- Email: email@example.com
- LMU Visits You: International Travel Schedule!
- October 15th - Admission for spring (January)
- November 1st - Early Action admission for Fall
- January 15th - Regular admission for Fall
Applications received after January 15th will be considered on a space-available basis.
Early Action Program
LMU offers Fall freshman applicants an Early Action option. This is a non-binding program with a November 1 application deadline and a December 20 reply date. Early Action applicants may be admitted, denied, or deferred for further consideration in our regular decision process, and all Early Action decisions will be mailed by December 20.
Our "regular decision" deadline for Fall applicants will remain January 15, with decisions sent on a rolling basis by April 1. Any Early Action applicants whose decisions are deferred will hear within this same timeframe.
International Freshman Requirements
1. LMU Application for Admission
- Complete and submit the Common Application online.
- Complete and submit the LMU Supplement via the Common Application online.
- Be sure to include the $60 non-refundable application fee. A fee waiver can be requested via Common Application.
Applicants to Animation, Dance, Music and Theatre Arts
Applications to these programs require portfolio or audition. Please click on your area of interest to view your additional requirement:
2. Submit Official Test Scores
Have your SAT or ACT test scores submitted directly to the Office of Admission from either:
- The College Board (SAT): www.collegeboard.com
- The American College Testing Program (ACT): www.act.org
LMU's CEEB code is 4403. SAT Subject test scores are not required.
3. Provide Proof of English Proficiency
Request your official proof of English proficiency results submitted directly to the Office of Admission. Copies of your test scores will not be accepted.
TOEFL: Non-native English speakers must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) given by the Educational Testing Service and arrange for scores to be sent to the Office of Admission. Information about this test may be obtained from www.toefl.org (LMU's TOEFL Institution code is 4403.)
The University's minimum standard for undergraduate admission is 550 (the equivalent score of 213 on the computer based TOEFL or 80 on the internet based TOEFL).
IELTS: As an alternative to taking the TOEFL, non-native English speakers may also take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Information about this test may be obtained from: www.ielts.org
The University's minimum standard for undergraduate admission is 6.5.
Completion of ELS level 112 through ELS Language Centers. For more information, please visit www.els.edu
4. Submit Official Transcripts
Submit your sealed official transcripts in English from all secondary schools/high schools attended. Full transcripts from each individual school year must be provided.
- Submit official transcripts showing all work in detail. If you have completed any courses at the college or university level please see our international transfer student requirements.
- LMU may grant advanced standing for certain foreign examinations and diplomas; for more information please click here: LMU Foreign Equivalencies
- Obtain certified English translations of all documents not presented in English.
- If your school cannot provide an official document, please provide photocopies that are notarized as true copies of the original document.
- All documents submitted for admission become property of the University and will not be returned.
5. Provide Proof of Finances
International student applicants with non-U.S. citizenship must provide evidence that shows you or your sponsor(s) have the sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended studies (estimated at $58,000 per year) at LMU. Please submit a letter or statement, from your bank or other financial institution, showing available funds in that amount, along with the 2015-16 International Student Certification of Finances.
Please send these documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to +13103382797, or mail to LMU International Outreach, 1 LMU Drive, Suite 100, Los Angeles, CA 90045.
Application Review and Admission Decisions
While there are no ‘official’ minimum GPAs or test scores required for admission, applicants to LMU should have at least a 3.0 grade point average out of the 4 point US grading scale. Each applicant is carefully reviewed for academic achievement, preparation and potential. Students interested in academic scholarships should be in the top 20% of their class at the minimum and must take the SAT in order to be considered for scholarships.
Applications for admission are reviewed on a rolling basis. This means that your application will be evaluated as soon as all required documents have been received. We will send written notification of your eligibility for admission as soon as a decision has been reached and normally no later than April 1st for fall freshmen who apply by January 15.
Admitted students are required to submit final transcripts to verify that all work in progress is successfully completed. In the event that the final semester of work does not meet required criteria, acceptance may be rescinded.
All freshman applicants are automatically considered for academic scholarships. See Scholarships for more details.